Starting a new job has been a rather challenging experience. While I really love the work environment and the hours are incredibly fair, I do have a commute on the days that I need to be in office. As a result, I am in the process of sorting out how I am going to be using my free time moving forward.
2020 and 2021 have both been tests of mental fortitude due to the ongoing global pandemic, the unfortunate political discourse in the United States, and personal health issues I have been facing since the end of 2020. While I have made a significant recovery, I still have a long way to go to recover financially and need to continue getting myself on the right track with my weight.
I have a lot of aspirations over the next few years which I can break down into the following areas:
- Streaming – I would like to be able to do a Twitch or YouTube stream once or twice a week on a regular schedule in the near future. One of my ideas is to just stream during the time I am playing games to see if I can build an audience that I can entertain and to help build a like-minded community. I’ve got some great close friends on Discord that I would love to break on board and try to build a positive community that encourages each other.
- Music – I’ve invested a little bit into getting some software and some bare essentials in hardware to start learning to make electronic music. I am going to start investing a bit more time messing around with different tools in FL Studio to find my voice.
- Writing – Writing has always been a passion of mine, but I have always found it very difficult to focus on a long-term project. A lot of this happens as a result of changes in my life that I have not facilitated such as work needing me to move or factors outside of my control influencing my free time. I am hoping to make a lot of progress on this front before NaNoWriMo.
- Professional Development – My new job, or rather my new career, is going to give me a lot of opportunities for both professional development and networking. I am incredibly lucky to find the company that I did and to get accepted, therefore I am going to invest a lot of time to ensuring that I am not only able to achieve everything expected from me, but to be able to cross-train for both the benefit of the company and myself.
- Relationships – While I have some close friends, romance has been something which has eluded me. As I try to improve myself, I am going to try to put myself out there and meet someone that I can connect with on an emotional level. As an introvert, that will be quite a difficult feat to accomplish.
- Health – Recent stress and health concerns have made it difficult for me to maintain a healthy weight. I am focusing my next year or so to reach a goal weight that is ideal for me. I am also going to try to implement some exercise throughout the week to get myself in a decent shape.
With all of this in mind, I still need to make sure I have some free time for friends, family, and general happiness. For example, the Discord group I am a part of has an anime night where we watch around 4 hours of anime. It is currently difficult to schedule that when I barely even have 4 hours free during the week, and weekends are not ideal for them either.
Hopefully I am able to get a better feel for how I can both allocate and maximize my free time over the next few weeks. Once I get things settled and am comfortable with my job, I should be able to start figuring this out.